Sunday, September 15, 2013

But I Don't Want A "Regular Job"...



Life has a way of showing you exactly where you need to be. It has ebbs and flows that teach, comfort, crush, rebuild and eventually make you someone to remember when you're gone. There are so many quotes on how we should live life; how we shouldn't allow life to live us, but what do you do when everything you have worked for, striving for, and hoping for hasn't happened yet? What life do you have then? Can you really call it a life?

So many of us are searching for our paths; we're looking for someone important to be but we often get hit with real life situations such as unemployment, homelessness, untimely children, horrible marriages and relationships, and are forced into doing what the majority of people do: get a "regular job".

All my life I've worked toward becoming successful in the entertainment industry. I've been singing since birth, acting all my life, and I'm a trained dancer to boot. I'm a regular Gene Kelly (lol). I've recorded songs and albums, did a few good stage plays, had a few guest spots on TV talk shows but nothing REALLY ever picked up. Well into my twenties, with the help of a great friend, I decided to create my own online radio talk show and blog. It was the best move I could have made! My personality shined through and people started to take notice of my talent and worth in the industry. More acting jobs are coming my way and of course I'm ALWAYS going to be singing SOMEWHERE. I'm nowhere NEAR where I'd like to be in my life, specifically financially, but I'm holding on to what I believe to be right for me. I'm doing what feels good and most importantly doing what fulfills me. It's actually working itself out. I may go through some hard times but sticking to my dreams and following my heart got me to a place of calm and peace that you don't find in other places and/or jobs.

The reality is I still need a day job. That hasn't changed...YET! Everything I do is with the mindset that my business and brand is going to become my state of living. I hold on to the knowledge and belief that I can and at some point WILL have the career I see myself having. What would have happened to people like Denzel or Ben Franklin or Obama had they listened to those in life who said:

"This is just a dream, get over it and get a REAL job." 

"That's nice but you should really give up that hobby." 

"You're not making any money so why continue to do it?" 

"Are you ever going to get out of the clouds?"

Now let's be real; some things just aren't possible. If you're 50 years old and decide you want to be a gymnast then you're probably going to be a bit disappointed when you start looking for a trainer and no one takes you seriously. However, for those who want to be actors, writers, dancers, choreographers or WHATEVER isn't just a hum drum dead-end job that you hate and you're GOOD at it, go do it!!! 

Never give up on your dreams. There's not one person alive who has been successful or who has gone down in history that got there by listening to the people who told them they couldn't do it. BE the person you want people to model after and BECOME the greatness that you feel is inside of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment