Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering The Past: 9/11



12 years ago this country was hit by a wave of terrorism that not only changed our economics and our military standards but the lives of millions of people. People who lost friends, husbands, wives and other loved ones.

I remember the day that the twin towers in New York City were hit.  I was on the school bus headed to school during my sophomore year at Hollywood High School.  Other students on phones and ear phones listening to little portable radios getting as much information as they could.  We sat talking among ourselves not all too sure of what had happened and what it all meant. We arrived at school and it was like the entire student body and faculty was in a state of mourning. People crying, sobbing, motionless in shock. I walked into my first period class to find what was normally my chemistry class had been turned into a news room.  The television hooked up and we sat and watched the terror unfold while replaying certain moments over and over again.  People who's families were in NYC just sat in tears while those with no direct ties to NYC just sat and talked and played games in the ignorance of the moment.

I sat there, looking around me and contemplating. I knew people in NYC, none of which had died (thank God), but I knew that my friends who were there probably had those who they had lost. It was in the moment when it hit me: Life doesn't happen independent of one another. In some way we are all connected. We are all affected by those events on September 11, 2001. Here we are 12 years later and still not over the tragedies of that day. People still mourn, the economy still in a terrible state and those who don't recognize how this affects them simply go on as if today is just another day.

I take this time (and this blog) to remember and memorialize those who lost their life on Sept 11, 2001. Your lives meant something to someone and your loss have stained the memory of this country. I pray that in years to come we never have to repeat that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment